Cozy and comforting, this slow cooker potato leek soup is easy to prep in under 30 minutes while the slow cooker does the rest of the work! Made with Greek yogurt for an extra nutrition punch!
Slow cooker soups are my favorite. You spend under 30 minutes prepping ingredients and then you set it and forget it. The slow cooker does the rest of the work for you.
I especially love this potato leek soup because it’s super creamy and comforting. Perfect for a cozy winter night in.
The leeks, lemon, and thyme add a flavor punch and the Greek yogurt and potatoes give the soup a deliciously creamy consistency.
It makes a big batch so you can feed a big fam or save (or freeze!) leftovers.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Notes on Ingredients:
Potatoes: creamy Yukon Gold is the best variety for soup – with medium-starch content, it lends a creamy, smooth consistency. Yellow or gold potatoes also work well – Yukon Gold is just a specific type of yellow/gold potato.
Leeks: be sure to thoroughly clean these as dirt can get trapped between layers. discard the thick dark green part and only use the white and light green parts.
Broth: I personally liked the soup better when I made it with chicken broth but vegetable broth will work just as well for my vegetarian and vegan friends!
Lemon juice: adds brightness to the overall flavor
Thyme and bay leaf: add another layer of flavor
Chives: optional ingredient but I like to add these as a garnish to bump up the oniony flavor.
How to Make Potato Leek Soup in the Slow Cooker
Step 1: Peel and cut potatoes into 1-inch pieces.
Step 2: Sauté leeks and onion with olive oil over medium heat until leeks have softened and onions are translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
Step 3: Add leek mixture, potatoes, thyme, bay leaf, and broth to slow cooker.
Step 4: Cook until potatoes are fork-tender, about 4 hours on high and about 8 hours on low.
Step 5: Use an immersion blender or transfer soup to a high-speed blender to blend ingredients until smooth and creamy.
Step 6: Add lemon juice and fold in Greek yogurt. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 7: Garnish with chopped chives (optional).
Be sure to let Greek yogurt sit out to come to room temperature before folding in to soup to prevent curdling.
Potato Leek Soup FAQs
What are the benefits of potato leek soup?
Leeks are packed with vitamins A, C, K, B-6, iron, copper, folate, and manganese. They belong to the allium family (which also contains onion, garlic, scallions, shallot, chives), which is known for boasting phytochemicals – compounds that are anti-oxidative and inflammatory and may help to protect against certain chronic disease, like cancer.
Can I make this in my Instant Pot?
Yes! I included the instructions in the Notes section in the recipe card. You’ll saute your leeks, onion, and garlic first then add potatoes, thyme, bay leaf and broth. Pressure cook for 8 minutes then quick release. Blend ingredients and add lemon, yogurt, salt and pepper.
Can you put raw potatoes in the slow cooker?
Yes! Potatoes take some time to cook in the slow cooker but with this recipe they are fork-tender in 4 hours on high.
Why is my potato leek soup gummy?
Chopping the potatoes too small can cause more starch to be released, resulting in a gummy texture. Also, over-blending or pureeing the potatoes can cause this so be sure to blend just until ingredients are pureed and a smooth consistency is reached.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes! This soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
For more soup inspiration, check out my recipes below!
If you like this recipe, please be sure to give it a 5 star rating below and leave a comment below. If you make it, share it on Instagram and tag me @karalydonrd and I’ll re-share it with my followers! If you want to save this recipe for later, be sure to pin it on Pinterest!
Cozy and comforting, this slow cooker potato leek soup is easy to prep in 30 minutes while the slow cooker does the rest of the work! Made with Greek yogurt for an extra nutrition punch!
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes (4–5 small to medium potatoes), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only, washed and sliced (about 3 cups sliced)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: chopped chives, for garnish
- In a sauté pan, add olive oil over medium heat. Add leeks and onion and cook until leeks are softened and onion is translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add leek mixture to slow cooker along with potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and broth.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are fork-tender, about 8 hours on low or about 4 hours on high.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Using an immersion blender or transferring soup to a high-speed blender, blend ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Add lemon juice and fold in Greek yogurt. Season with salt and pepper.
- Optional: garnish with chives
- Keep yogurt close to room temperature before incorporating into the soup to prevent curdling.
- If transferring soup to blender, depending on the size of your blender you may have to work in batches.
- Soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To make this in the Instant Pot
- Add olive oil and use sauté function to saute leeks and onions for 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and broth.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot. Close the steam vent (should be on sealing). Set to high manual pressure for 8 minutes. Carefully turn quick release valve to venting to release the steam.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Using an immersion blender or transferring soup to a high-speed blender, blend ingredients until smooth and creamy. Stir in Greek yogurt and lemon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
Keywords: slow cooker potato leek soup, potato leek soup in the slow cooker, crock pot potato leek soup
This recipe was originally published January 2015. It’s been retested and reshot to give you the most delicious (and beautiful!) recipe!