After exercise, it’s important to refuel your body and gain back those calories you lost while working up a sweat. No matter how strenuous or relaxed your workout, eating well after physical activity is highly recommended.
Complex carbohydrates and protein help encourage muscle recovery and provides your body with an energizing reboost post-workout. Keeping these essentials in mind, here are a few of our favorite recipes for after exercise:
1. Brussels Sprout Veg Smoothie
This green smoothie is loaded with vegetable-based protein, making it perfect for muscle recovery!
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 1/2 cups Romaine lettuce
- 2 large Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons cilantro
- 1/4 of your favorite orange – peel and seeds removed
- 1/4 avocado – peeled and seed removed
Simply place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until it reaches a smooth, creamy consistency. Pour in a glass and enjoy!
2. Delicious Broccoli-Grape Salad
Broccoli is loaded with protein and grapes are a complex carbohydrate! Try this salad after your next workout.
- 2 heads fresh broccoli – cut into bite sized florets
- 1/2 cup celery – diced fine
- 1/2 cup green onion – sliced thin
- 1 cup organic seedless green grapes
- 1 cup organic seedless red grapes
- 1/2 cup organic raisins
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Top with your favorite plant-based dressing and toss to combine. Serve and enjoy!
3. Black Bean and Avocado Salad
This protein-packed salad makes a great post-exercise recovery meal, and it’s perfect and refreshing for summer!
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 large tomatoes – diced
- 2 avocados – diced
- 1 cucumber – diced
- 1/4 cup sweet red onion – diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro – chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
Place all ingredients in a large bowl and toss to coat. Store in the refrigerator to set and let all flavors infuse together. Enjoy!
4. Summer Quinoa Salad
Containing fiber and digestible complex carbohydrates, this summer salad is delicious and nutritious.
For the salad:
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
- 3 1/2 cups veggie broth
- 1 red bell pepper – finely diced
- 1/2 cup red onion – finely diced
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries – roughly chopped
- 1-2 avocados – diced
- 1 cup cilantro – chopped
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoons raw agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
First, place the quinoa, veggie broth and a pinch of salt in a pot and bring to a boil. After the mixture reaches a boiling point, reduce the heat to medium low and let simmer until quinoa absorbs the liquid.
Remove quinoa from heat and use a fork to fluff. Transfer to a medium bowl to cool.
To create the dressing, whisk all ingredients together.
Pour the dressing over the cooled quinoa and add remaining ingredients, tossing to coat. Enjoy!
5. Kale, Avocado and Lemon Green Smoothie
Try this tasty and refreshing post-workout drink.
- 2 cups of chopped kale or spinach
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 ripe banana
- Juice of one lemon
- 1-2 cups distilled water
- Fiber Cleanse, B-Flax-D, or freshly ground flax seed
Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth and creamy. Add water to perfect consistency if necessary. Enjoy!