These tender, flavorful cookies get their rich taste from the vintage American flavor pairing we know as “German Chocolate Cake,” which includes dark or semi-sweet chocolate, coconut, and pecans. The tradition of German Chocolate Cake does not harken back to the country of Germany. The history of this flavor combo dates back to 1852, when an American baker named Samuel German developed a type of dark baking chocolate used in cake recipes. It later became a very classic, American ingredient mixture that is downright addictive! I mean, bitter creamy chocolate, crunchy coconut, and nutty pecans—what’s not to love? I used this classic formula to create these fluffy, cake-like cookies, which are completely vegan, and a bit lower in sugar and fat than many classic cookies. I have served these Vegan German Chocolate Cake Cookies at parties, and they were the hit of the dessert table! More importantly, my family gave these cookies the thumbs up. They are wonderful for your holiday cookie-making traditions, as well as lunch boxes, parties, potlucks, hiking snacks, and more.
These yummy, tender Vegan German Chocolate Cake Cookies are rich in the classic flavor combination of chocolate, coconut, and pecans.
- Place aquafaba and brown sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until very thick with soft peaks forming. (Learn more about how to make aquafaba here.)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Gently mix in maple syrup, vanilla, and vegan margarine with an electric mixer on low until mixed well.
- Gently mix in all-purpose flour and baking powder just until combined—do not overmix.
- Gently fold in coconut, pecans, and chocolate chunks.
- Place large spoonfuls of dough (about 1 ½ inches in diameter) on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, allowing room for cookies to spread.
- Place in center rack of oven and bake until golden brown and firm—about 9-12 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or freeze up to 3 months in airtight container.
- Makes 30 large cookies.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 152
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 52 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: vegan cookies, vegan german chocolate cake, vegan chocolate cookies
For other cookie recipes, check out some of my favorites:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, click here.